Friday, March 6, 2015

Parenting Fails and Triumphs

As a new parent, I started down this road with SUCH good intentions.  My baby would get no screen time. She would not be transfixed by electronics. She would be interested in exploring her surroundings. She would be involved in the world around her.

Well, two out of four is not bad, is it? 

Turns out, ensuring that your kids do not fall down the rabbit hole of a deep and abiding fascination for electronics requires serious discipline from you, and whoever else is in the house. We failed, and badly.

My grandma watches incredibly awful regional language TV soaps. I watch Downton Abbey and Top Chef and Modern family. My dad channel surfs. All of us (barring my grandma) spend far too much time with our smartphones. I have tried to keep her out of the room while the TV is on, but the damage is done. Among her favorite objects are remote controls. She drags em around the house, points em at the TV, presses buttons, and gets super pissed when nothing relevant happens. Sometimes she stands in front of the TV, pressing buttons on a remote, waving her arms and screaming like a witch doctor, exhorting it to start. When it does start, sometimes she ignores it, but whenever there is a jingle or the opening number, she is transfixed and starts dancing to it (turns out this kid is pretty musical---she will dance to almost anything). When she sees my phone, she lets out a war hoop and dives for it. My laptop drives her ballistic. I usually deny her these objects, resulting in tantrums (already at 11 months!!), which mama is pretty good at ignoring at a deadpan manner, but other people can be PUTTY in the face of. Working on establishing rules for consistent reactions in a big family is a headache, I have to say. But the rewards make it totally worth it. 

But with these things that have not worked out the way I intended, there are also things that have, some a bit more than I would have liked. This kid loves nature. She is out for maybe around 2 hours a day in our garden, not counting her long walk. She is observant and really pays attention to her surroundings. She loves to explore, take apart, and examine everything (she stands on tiptoe in front of desks and tries to pull all the contents down...joy). She eats (self-feeds) with no need for distraction, really tasting and enjoying food---part of that is her own nature (all her half-siblings are really good eaters) and the fact that she has never been troubled by reflux, which is the root of the problem for so many kids labelled "picky eaters." Nonetheless, I have to give quite a bit of credit to baby-led weaning. It really is a fantastic concept.

But overall, the triumphs have little to do with me, and quite a bit to do with the amazing support system I have. Usually, the fails have also little to do with the parents (but in some cases, they do, as is so here). And I am NOT going to beat myself up about it, and you cannot either, even if some of you may want to. "Perfection" in parents is unrealistic, unachievable, and overrated, is it not? We just have to do the best we can under the circumstances, while not being too hard on ourselves or on the kids.

I just have to work on keeping her love for electronics under reasonable control, and making sure her interests remain diverse. Easy peasy, right?  

4 comments:

  1. It's so fun to watch them grow and develop at this age.

    It's also really hard to keep them away from electronics at this age. :) But at least we try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also "failed" in this area. I was certain that my LO wouldn't have any screen time before age 2, and even then that it would be very limited. In the end we ended up at a more moderate place, LO watches a show here and there though we are careful to ensure that there are no commercials, only let her watch certain shows that don't feature bratty kids (ha!). I've been so surprised by how much she has learned by watching TV- songs, counting, alphabet. So I guess it isn't a total fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...my baby falls into this bizarre breed that seems to only watch TV that has anything musical, which she dances to. Maybe later, the educational aspect may kick in. And I do agree, everything in moderation is okay, though the subliminal guilt trip society has going is huge.

      Delete
  3. Yes, moderation is key. I wanted to do no TV but realized how hypocritical of me that was since I am a hopeless TV-aholic. I am also aware of what shows she watches & disallow many based on content, etc. Elena got into the iPad when we were using it for her speech development apps. I've only added educational games & shows. I'd rather her be on her iPad than watching the TV. I comfort myself that at least there she's being developmentally stimulated.

    ReplyDelete